Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Frank Strident - Poet

Frank Strident has been writing and performing his work since the age of 14, at which time he became involved in the punk rock movement, and heavily involved with drugs and alcohol. He subsequently developed a heroin addiction which lasted for over 14 years.

His work has taken on a retrospective and confessional emphasis. Frank grew up and went to school during the 1970s and a lot of his work is inspired by, and captures the essence of this period.

He has written and performed in a television play "Frank Finds Out" has published six books of his poetry as well as performing extensively throughout Britain. Including two award wining plays "Plastic Star Fish and the awesome "Requiem For A Dead Skinhead".

What got a hairy arse bloke into soppy poetry?
As child was bullied by both my father and other kids teachers etc my dad was crazy drunk use me as punch bag I was an only child stayed in my room a lot with rock and roll music Marc Bolan lyrics bowie glam then punk that encouraged bed wetter like me to have a voice the rest is well a god dam rollercoaster ride.

What was the big break?
The big break came with a guy from the BBC hearing me on local radio and getting me to write and direct a play also played main character not bad for 19 and dropped out of school when I was 14 left with out any exams.

You've written a few books how they come about?
The first book was published early 1980s though some of the work was mid seventies it was financed by some anarchist co op come printing place it was called Homage To Maureen Tucker sold well on the underground though still have some under my bed Dragon Heart Press also published one of my books that was called Gemini Bride few other books mostly low key.

What happened, why did it all go pear shape?
Went bad cus I got over me head in drink and drugs loads bin said bout the rock and roll life by bigger and better than me though my play “Tranx and other Lies” pretty much tells it my way.

The rock n roll life style got any stories?
Breaking in the Rainbow(London) with Charlie Harper(lead singer with UK Subs) so he could sing as the bouncers wouldn't let him in doing some real smack fuelled gigs with John Copper Clark one great dude who I love.

Got any life tips?
You gotta be kidding though I wouldn't mind doing uncle franks freaky problem page for you.

Do you think leading life on the edge has help improve your writing?
Living on the edge all me life can only work sing write act when stressed on the edge

So what you up to now?
Never stopped working bin performing and writing acting now 28 years am 42 work it out am old school through and through had some very bad gigs dropping my works outta my pocket on stage during a gig also had some great gigs have been in recovery 12 years relapsed few times still smoke the weed daily wrote performed an award winning play Requiem For A Dead Skinhead am looking for musicians at the moment any gender or age to do some experimental work always looking to work with new people I like working with young people kinda share the vibe.

Frank Strident poetry samples

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean Woodward said...

Gemini Bride by Frank Strident is avaialble in 2007 as a digital book from Dragonheart Press - www.dragonheartpress.com

12:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frank, if you read this - or someone who is in contact with you does - give me a call. still living with ed and jim, would be great to do some stuff or just catch up.

saul 0121 464 0907

1:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home