Thursday, September 07, 2006

Versus - hot new East Coast talent.


What artist influenced you to start rapping?
Gang Starr and every other hip hop legend you can think of.

When did you start taking it serious and make your first tracks?
I started taking it serious while I was in prison. Right before I got incarcerated the last time, a song named Water by The Roots made me realize that is what I wanted to do. I made my first tracks early on, and my most serious tracks within the last year.

Have you played live much in your home territory of Delaware?
Yes, I am well respected. The DVD is coming soon.

What about outside in any other States?
Yes, I have done shows in Rhode Island, Philly.

There are some killer tracks on the mixtape, including a banging track with Jae Millz. How did that come about?
I went to New York, meet up with him, listened to some tracks, picked one, and recorded. Came out hot.

Good to see Dipset all on there too. What was it like recording with Hell Rell?
We had a good vibe. Hopefully we will work together in the future.

Kay Slay has hosted the mixtape. Was it a conscious decision to have a DJ host your mixtape?
Yes, Kay Slay is the host that I wanted.

Are you planning on releasing any more mixtapes or maybe doing a video?
Yes to both. Tell everyone in England to get ready!

What US DJ's are playing your music?
I have no idea, my music is just now being put out there. We are at the beginning stages of getting it out to DJ's now. You'll get it the same time everyone else will.

You seem to have had a tough life in and out of jail. Do you feel the music has given you something more positive to focus on?
Yup, that is definitely my main focus and I plan on making it a positive one.


A lot of MC's seem to rap about they done this and done that which kind of dilutes the real man who have lived through real hard times. How do you feel about this?
If you are a nerd... rap about being a nerd! Whatever you do, that is what you rap about. The definition of real is not being hard, so all you mothers that talk that regroup...think about what you saying...cause that is not what’s happening. These mothers would hang themselves if they had to live their life like that.

If someone didn't know you, how would you describe yourself as a person and
as an artist?

I am a soft, cuddly, teddy bear. LOL that is just for the bitches.

So what's next for Versus?
Keep up to date with my myspace - Bigger and Better Things!

Interview by Brendan Deane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home