Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mr CRF


Where are you from and what's the scene like there?
I’m from Manchester, a couple of miles from Stockport. The scene's not bad at the moment. There’s allot of crews coming through and doing there thing. Putting out mix cds and trying to make a name for themselves, plus the hip-hop nights seem to be coming back. They seemed to fall off a couple of years back but now there’s quite a few nights happening which is good. I think more and more people will start to take note of Manchester hip-hop.

You've upped ya game considerably with ya new mixtape. Tell us a bit about it and who features.
Well the new Mix cds called "Funk Ya Head Up" Volume 2 and it features over 70 minutes of brand new and exclusive tracks and freestyles from a whole load of quality Hip-hop artists. I wanted to put together a mix cd featuring legendary artists from back in the day, Artists who’ve been making noise on the underground for the last few years and Up & Coming artists all together and with the Funk Ya Head Up mix cd I’ve definitely done that. Legends such as Wise Intelligent from PRT and X-Clan and Ced Gee from Ultramagnetic who are all coming back with new albums along side artists like Rack Lo, Thirstin Howl, Original One and The Blak Prophetz. All the artists sorted me out with exclusive tracks which is dope and which id like to thank them again for. If anyone’s interested in getting the cd, log onto www.cbmag.co.uk

So are you going to follow up the tape with a volume Three?
I hope so, yeah i'm sure they’ll be a volume 3.

Do you have an e-mail address that people can send MP3's too?
Yeah the email address is Mrcrf@Cbmag.co.uk

You've been backing the whole independent movement in the UK and USA with your on-line magazine. Tell us more about that.
Well basically I've grown up on Hip-hop music. Since the mid 1980s I've listened to it and I always wanted to be a part of the scene one way or another. I mean I love being an MC; I love DJ’ing and doing my Radio shows. At the same time I know how hard it is to get recognition for your work and how hard it is trying to promote yourself. So basically I set up the Critical Beatdown website and now I’m able to interview other artists, reviews Artists tracks, bring the latest Hip-hop news etc. At the same time it helps to promote myself aswell. Basically I feel I’m just doing my bit for Hip-hop. Another bonus about running the website is I’m always making new contacts through it. Since I started it I've made contact with so many people and hooked up with allot of dope artists from both the UK and The USA.

With the Critical Beatdown website I always make a point of supporting the Oldskool artist’s aswell. Don’t get me wrong, I support a whole lot of up and coming artists but I feel not enough people nowadays support the legends from back in the day. I grew up on Hip-hop in the Golden Era so I’ll always support them artists, big them up on the site and try to interview them. Respect the Legends...Running the website takes up a lot of my spare time which I don’t have allot of but I’ll keep it up. It’s something I love spending time on.

So apart from giving everyone else exposure lets talk about CRF as a rapper for a minute. What's next for you?
I’ve got a few things in the pipeline. I and Noz are working on the next Pedigree Chumps Release which is coming along nicely. I’m also doing a couple of tracks with a dope crew from Long Island, NYC called The Lenzmen which i’m really happy about. Heads need to check out The Lenzmen. I recently did a track with a dope Mc from Staten Island called Lyric Inforca. We got some good feedback from that. I'm also going to be recording some new tracks for Daddy Js Aerosolik Records Label. Also my man Grafiq Sebek from The Factshen has asked me to do a track with him and Ced Gee from Ultramagnetic. We were supposed to record something a few months back but it got put on hold. It’s coming though. Me & Noz are also going to feature on the new album from G67 aswell plus i’m thinking of doing a Critical Beatdown Posse compilation but that’s not yet definite.



You still doing the Pedigree Chumps project?
Yeah definitely. The Pedigree Chumps are still together. Me, Noz and DJ Pressure. We’re still working on tracks. Me and Noz have been busy recently working on allot of new tracks which I'm sure heads are going to like. We've got some crazy new tracks which we’re hoping to put out at the end of the year or early 2007.They`ll be a few promos doing the rounds soon though. I'm also putting together A Pedigree Chumps Mix cd which will feature some of the best tracks from our last 2 EP's plus a couple of Exclusives, Freestyle tracks, Joints over other peoples beats etc. All coming soon so keep your eyes peeled.

What's ya next release?
The Pedigree Chumps Mix Cd is next then its going to be either a 12" single or another EP then the Pedigree Album...

You have been active in the scene for some time now. What's the main difference in the industry/scene since ya started compared to now?
Basically the fact that Hip-hop is so popular nowadays, so much more mainstream than what is was back in the Day. Rap is everywhere now. Everybody wants to be an MC. I think nowadays allot of people seem to follow the latest trend. It seems that the major labels are only interested in putting out artists who sound like the current big name artists. Independent Labels is where the originality is. Outlets like the Internet have made a big difference especially when it comes to promoting your music. Back in the day it was all about word of mouth, waiting for the weekly Hip-hop radio show and posters to find out what was coming out etc. Now just switch on the Internet and its right there.

Do you have any advice for peeps getting in the game?
Basically just give it your 100 percent, whether your an mc, DJ whatever. Dont let setbacks and haters put you off. Everybody faces setbacks whatever you do. Use them to make you stronger, and don’t follow the latest trend. Try to do your own thing.

Is there anything ya need to plug or anyone ya wanna big up?

Keep supporting that Real Hip-hop. If you haven’t checked out any of my music or mix cds, I hope some of you will take the time to do so. Check out my crew The Pedigree Chumps. We currently have Two, 8 track EP's available on vinyl. Check out my radio show every Saturday afternoon 4pm --- 6pm UK Time on www.hhbradio.com (Hip-hop Basemen)t, Mr Crf Presents the Critical Beatdown Hip-hop Show...Check out the websites and a big shout to everyone who’s already shown there support over the years. Big up your good self Tricksta for doing the interview. Nuff Respect…Big up my Ped Chumps Fam and the Pedigree Chumps Extended Family. You all know who you are. The entire Aerosolik Records crew, Everyone reppin for Manchester, Grafiq Sebek, Ced Gee and Team Factshen, Ultramagnetic MC’s, Dynamics Plus and The Lenzmen, Lyric Inforca, Rack Lo, Thirstin & The SpitSquad, Wordsmith, Michelle and The Audible Treats crew, all the artists who featured on The Funk Ya Head Up Cd. Big up. I can go on but I won’t. Everyone down with CRF/Pedigree Chumps/Critical Beatdown website and Radio Shows.

Do you have a website or My Space page?
WWW.CBMAG.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/crf1
www.myspace.com/pedigreechumps
www.myspace.com/criticalbeatdownmagazine

Interview by Tricksta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home