Saturday, June 21, 2008

Interview with Arcus founders

Here's a little interview with Nicolas Muller, Fredi Kalbermatten, Mauro Paolozzi Steh founders of streetwear clothing brand Arcus.

Can you introduce yourselves.

Nicolas Muller: I’m a pro snowboarder and I’ve been traveling the world since I was eighteen. My job and passions have educated me a bit differently than a regular school life but I wouldn’t change a thing if I could.

Fredi Kalbermatten: I’m a pro snowboarder too, and I’ve spent almost all my life up here connecting to the mountains, snow and nature.

Mauro Paolozzi: I’m a self-employed graphic designer, running my own thing for six years now. Before that I studied in Switzerland and in the Netherlands, where I finished my studies after a master degree in type design and typography.

How was Arcus born?
NM: Arcus was born at a time where we were seeking more individuality – we’re very different people with similar lifestyles. The brand was never based on a money-maker but is more about the creativity in detail.

FK: The main focus was to create an independent streetwear label out of Switzerland that we could represent across the whole world.

MP: Nicolas, Fredi and I had the same goal about eight years ago: to make the finest urban streetwear with a snowboard rooted background. They wanted to have their own streetwear thing and not ride for any old cheapo shizzle. I was silk-screening tees and sweaters on my own and thought starting a small, fine brand would be amazing. We’ve been rocking Arcus around the globe for eight years now, since 2000.

What is Arcus’ place in streetwear?
NM: It has its own story written by our crew’s influence. Whether it is on a board, in the snow or in graphic design we all live for creating some form of art, to feel like we made something special. It is a tough business but we have always managed to stay true to our principles.

FK: The brand was founded in 2000. Our main goal was to make nice and stylish clothes for people who like to keep it real and dress up dope.

MP: Arcus (bow in latin) is our playground, our friendship and our microcosm where everything concerning Arcus is happening. The strength in Arcus is the interdisciplinary thing we have going on at such a high level, with snowboarding and design. I mean it’s a brand rooted in snowboarding and design and not the other way around. The input is snowboarding, a bit of skateboarding, graphic design and photography. The output of all this is what Arcus is all about. I think the special thing about Arcus is the interdisciplinary collaboration between the three of us. That will always be different to most streetwear clothing labels out there and that’s what makes it really special and unique. I look at Arcus as our own unique micro-cosmos.

How is Arcus rooted in street, skate or snowboard culture?
NM: Arcus is an icon in snowboard culture and is slowly being recognised globally as an authentic streetwear label

FK: People are starting to recognise and dig our brand, especially in the U.S.

MP: I’d say Arcus is deeply rooted in snowboarding, addicted to skateboarding and well-connected to design.

What stage of development is the brand in at the moment?

MP: In eight years we went from a label with four t-shirts to a 150-article brand. Arcus started in Switzerland and is now available in core shops in the UK, Germany, Austria, Spain, Japan, U.S, Russia and South Korea.

What influences the designs?

NM: Positivity from around the globe.

MP: Everything that enters our microcosm and doesn’t leave too quickly. That’s what goes into making the finest super stylish, detailed urban street wear, down to earth with a cultural natural flavour! Mainly daily things, small things that might look uninteresting in the beginning (mini shred, Nicolas would say). But for sure, Arcus is pretty much a bright, graphic brand, always working on a specific theme, which is reflected in the styles, colours and details.

Any future plans you wanna share?
NM: I am involved in some products from Burton snowboards and right now
Mauro and I are designing the NiMü Arcus colorway for an ADIO shoe called Kingsley. It is being released early 2008.

MP: Teaching type design at the art academy. For Arcus, the main thing aim is keeping it fresh! Because fresh keeps it rockin’ and going on. For the future concept stores, more design output, like our own magazine and maybe a small record label, more like Arcus hobbies, would be great!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Elitist Society said...

Great Interview and quite interesting!

3:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home