Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Gee Bag


How did you get the name Gee Bag?
It’s funny because Gee Bag is slang a nasty female in Ireland apparently. I found this out after I started recording as Gee Bag. When I was a young teenager my cousin use to call me Gee Bag for no reason. I’m not to sure where he got the name from but I liked it. At the time I didn’t even use the name, he would just call me that whenever i would arrive at his house. Even when I was in 35 above I went by the name of Gee. It wasn’t that original and when we decided to split up i thought a new name would be suitable. The name stands for goodie bag, as I’ve always been a goodie as well as a good MC. in other words I’m a generous man full of surprises and lots of stuff for you to take home.

Coming up in South London’s infamous Brixton you where actually part of a group before you went solo. Tell us about this and why you are not in this group anymore.
I was in a group called 35 above since 1994 and left in 2004. In the space of ten years the group only released one single ( ha ha!! ). By that time I had a son and I just wanted to do things at my own pace.

Do you prefer to be a solo artist?
Most definitely, I’ve got so much freedom to do as I please. It’s just like being single again! It’s important to develop as an individual.

What producers are you working with?
Jimmy Plates, KLM and Mister Jaes.

The new single “Still Rockin” is out now and doing big things. Any plans for a video for this single?
Nah, but I got a video for raindrops.

How did you hook up with producer Mister Jaes?
I met Jae in a pizza place in Italy. We was both out in Rimini doing a couple of shows with our groups together through a promoter we both knew. We didn’t talk much out in Italy but we exchanged material and kept in contact back in the UK, that’s how it all started basically.


Is this single taken off a forthcoming album? If so will this drop this year?
Yes, it’s called “no worries” and it will be dropping around September god willing.

I must admit I was surprised that you have done “the single to album route” as almost every new artist coming out these days seems to be dropping a mixtape. What are your views on the whole mixtape game?
Mixtapes are cool but I’m old school. I don’t even know what the difference is between a mixtape and an album is.

What record label are you signed too?
I aint signed to any labels. The single is on Grinnin Records and the album will be coming out on KLM Records.

Any plans to maybe approach any majors with your forthcoming material?
I’m not sure about majors they just seem long.

UK Hip-Hop seems to finally getting the recognition it deserves, but it has taken an influx of artists from the grime scene to do this. Do you think UK Hip-Hop is dying and grime is taking over?
UK hip hop will always be around, I don’t know if grime is taking over and I don’t care to be quite frank.

Have you been doing many live shows? If so, what’s been the most memorable?
Nah, not really, I did Battlescars for a laugh at the beginning of the year ( I think? ). I just done my first live show as gee bag and that was quite memorable considering it was last night.

Is there anything you’d like to add?
God bless everyone that reads this and hears my music. Check my website at geebag.co.uk and buy my single and album or get one of your friends to buy it. Look out for the raindrops video also.

Is there anyone you’d like to shout out?
I wanna pay my respects to El Shaddai the most high, Blest, Unique Hastings, Mister Jaes, KLM, Café Recordings, Andrew Asamoah, Jimmy Plates, Tricksta, Lizard Man, all the dj’s playing my 12” and all of my family and friends.

Interview by Lee Wellman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home