Saturday, July 15, 2006

Bigg Steele Interview for The Urban Shop


Your new release The Chronicles Of Bigg Steele Volume Two features a who bunch of superstars from the legendary Notorious B.I.G, Big Pun and 2Pac, right over to rappers such as Busta Rhymes, Method Man and RBX. How did all this come about?
Some were studio magic. RBX for example is a personal friend.

With Chronicles becoming as popular as it is in the UK, do you have plans for Volume Three?
Yeah Volume 3 will be dropping before my next album, Cereal & Water

You have your own label Street Currency that obviously you are signed too as well as super producer Polar Bear. Have you signed anyone else or have any plans too?
I got some artist we are close to signing. Free-Style-Lee from my home town of Cleveland oh is a phenomenal talent. I’m looking to sign a UK Artist as well.

How do you find running your own label? Do you prefer being independent ?
It has its pros and a few cons, for one you spending your own money, but you get a much bigger return. I’m taking my next album through a major situation but I would never sign an artist deal. Those are robbery in every sense of the word.

Size Duz Matter was your first album and it was well received. Where you happy with the results from this release?
Very much so. That album bought my house (along with the chronicles) and took me all around the world. The next album Cereal and Water will make me an Icon.

When does your follow-up album Cereal & Water get a full release?
It’s dropping Feb 07. I’m gonna shoot a video for That’s what I’m bout Ft. Ne-Yo

L.A has produced some of raps biggest names. Apart from yourself who is killing the airwaves on Los Angeles radio?
People are getting spins here and there, but for the most part LA radio doesn’t go out of its way to support its own artist unless you have a personal relationship with them.

Do your releases that come out in the UK get released in America or anywhere else?
I'm world wide playboy! I’m like the sun, I hit all corners of the earth.

How would you describe you style? Would you say Bigg Steele is Gangsta Rap?
Nah, I’m hardcore at times but I’m not giving that bull any light. Most people that are gangsta rappers are cowards.

Apparently you’ve just hosted Late & Tricksta’s How We Do It On The Westside mixtape for Wolftown Recordings. How did this come about?
Those are my boys!

Swiss featured on the first album. Will there be any UK artists on the new album?
Maybe. I’m trying to get baby Blue on a proper joint. Outside of her and my dogs at Wolftown, I dont fool with none of them other cats. Some people need to learn humility and sell records before they become cocky and arrogant.

You have worked with many artists from L.A but who did you enjoy working?
All of em.

Street Currency


Interview by Steven Portland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home