Wednesday, January 24, 2007

White Mike


Where are you’re from and what’s the scene like there?
I'm from Pleasanton, California. The scene here is wack as hell, unfortunately. But I live in the Bay Area, so there are some big cities around where I can perform. There is one place in Pleasanton, Club Aura, where I perform. That place is always cool.

How you get the name White Mike?

I've always hung out with a lot of black folks. One day my friend's sister was talking about me and called me White Mike. From there it just kinda stuck. It's funny because a lot of white kids in the underground scene hate on my name being White Mike....maybe they think its racist or something. They're just trying way too hard.

What artists inspired you to get into making Hip-Hop?
I'm just glad that through hip-hop I finally found a way to express myself. I always played sports and stuff like that, but nothing lets you really tell how you're feeling like making music. I've been into hip-hop since I was a kid, listening to everything from N.W.A. to Gang Starr.

You won an award in 2004. Let’s talk about that for a minute.
In 2004 I won the award for "Independent Hip-Hop Artist of the Year" at the Los Angeles Music Awards. I was ripping people up at a battle in Riverside in California and got noticed by someone who was collecting music to be judged for the show. I ended up getting lucky and winning.

What is your biggest achievement in Hip-Hop to date?
So far, the L.A. thing was the biggest award. But I think my biggest accomplishment has been putting my new album "Famous" together all on my own... From the production to mailing CD's to all of the radio stations, almost all of it has been on my shoulders. I've been a part of every little detail, and that's been really cool.

How would you describe your music?
I call it "slapmusic that attacks every human emotion." It has a West Coast flavour. My music is funky and soulful, with a lot of live instruments being played. I want my stuff to bang in the club and also just be good music all around.

‘Famous’ seems to be creating a buzz in the UK with some good DJ support. Did it get a lot of attention back home in the West Coast?
Yeah it has been getting a lot of support out here. People are definitely feeling it. That song is really powerful and always gets the club going. That's probably my favourite song to perform too.


What’s the most popular track you’ve made?
I would say it's a toss-up between "Famous" and "The Real World." I'm really proud of the production on those two tracks and I always get a lot of positive feedback on them. "Famous" was the title track of the album so I had to come hard with that one.

What do you love about being a rapper?
I love everything involved with the music. Writing the lyrics, making the beats, live shows...

What do you hate about being a rapper?
Nowadays everybody's thinks they're a rapper or producer. Just cuz your mommy and daddy bought you Pro Tools it doesn't automatically make you a musician. This stuff takes a lot of hard work and dedication. People like that just make the hip-hop game so watered down with the same bull. Everyone wants to be rapper but no one wants to be an artist and do something new and innovative.
To date what have you released?
Up until now I have released two albums. The first one was self-titled and the second is "Famous."

Can you buy it on-line?
You can buy it in the store section at whitemike.com. Payments are made through Paypal, so everyone's info is secure.

What record label are you on?

My label is Sav'd Out Records (pronounced like SAVAGE).

Interview by Tricksta

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home