Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sons of South - Interview



Where are you from and what’s the Hip-Hop scene/industry like there?
No worries safe for getting at me. I go by the Artist moniker Verbal Remedy AKA Wurzel Gum Itch ‘The $hit kickin sick spitter’. Repping the South West, the local Hip Hop scene is ok, but I have to travel a fair distance to reach any decent Jams.

How long have you been rapping and what or who influenced you to pick up the microphone and start writing?
I’ve been writing since 2001, I picked up the M I C initially cause I started messin about with samplers and I dint know anyone else who could rhyme on my beats so I taught myself to rap.

When did you get your first break and was there anyone person who helped along with your music career?
I’m still waiting for that break, so anyone reading this your name could be here. On the real tho I’m not expecting any help from anyone I will keep pushing myself until something gives.

What have you released so far and what has the response been like?
With my crew Sons Of South (S.O.S.) BIG UP BIG UP, I have released 2 CD’s All Eyes on the South Vol 1 and 2 (No Cheap Talk). Both have received good response in the reviews and more importantly from the people who have copped that $hit. Volume 1 knocked on the door and Volume 2 just kicked that door in. So with the release of Volume 3 there is nothing in our way we will just walk straight in.

What would say is the most popular track that you have released to date?
That’s quite a hard one, we are diverse within the group and our tracks appeal to a wide spectrum. So with each release we have got great responses about different tracks. ‘Move Over’ is a big one from the first CD that goes down really well live.

What producers do you work with?
I lay raps down on mainly Terror productions or my own beats, but there are some bits coming with Unseen beats so big up Louis. I’m up for working with anybody who’s coming with the sort of beat that makes me HAVE to write – if that’s you get at me!!!

What artists have you collaborated with and what’s the most memorable collaboration that you have recorded?
I’m lucky in that I already consider myself to be working with some of the sickest rhymers the UK has to offer with S.O.S. so collaborations have not been very important. I’ve worked with artists in the UK such as Joe Gutta, Jackflash and Gadget DaWordsmith all of who are sick lyricists.


What’s your label situation? Who you signed to and do they have distribution?
I’m currently unsigned and distribution comes in the form of my motor


What are your views on the mixtape game? Is it saturating the marketplace with bootlegs or are they creative masterpieces to help rappers blow?

IF done correctly I think they can be a great tool. BUT to many mixtapes out in the market place are half arsed CDR’s of unfinished work and weak freestyles over that day’s BIG beat AND they aint even mixed? With our mixtapes we aim to put out a quality product, pressed up properly, shrink wrapped with decent artwork (Vol 3 is gonna have a 10 page comic contained in the front booklet which is looking heavy) and containing proper tracks. Plus we have a sick DJ who takes the tracks we give him and turns the whole thing into a fluent mix from start to finish. I think we are coming with something a bit different within the mixtape market but essentially it’s just about quality control.

With so many rappers in the game how are you planning to make noise and get noticed?
Living deep in the Shire’s I can’t get my face about at the Jam’s the industry heads are likely to reach. So I intend to do it through hardwork and not give people a chance to not have heard of me and releasing quality product so the industry has to take notice.

Have you featured or hosted any mixtapes?
I’ve featured on a few mixtape’s, UK Runnings 5 & 6 BIG UP for that, Joe Gutta’s ‘Starvin Artist’ and ‘Cartoon Hip Hop Vol 2’ also on quite a few of V.E.X.s (Samebrain) Mental Health Problem releases, shouts to V.E.X., Redmaster, Crucifix and Slinga.

Are you working on new material?
As part of S.O.S. we are currently working on Volume 3 of the ‘All Eyes on the South’ series, this one entitled ‘Real Name No Gimmicks’. It’s being put together by Blaise and is sounding SICK, should be out somewhere in 2007. As a solo project I’m workin’ on a release titled ‘On the dirt road’ again this should be out end of 07 early 08. (Any beatsmiths who would like to feature on this get at me through the myspizzle)

Have you done many live shows or tours? Tell us more about your live show.
We have done quite a few shows as a group since we formed in 04’, we had our first show only a few months of getting together so the live thing has always been there. I like the live performing it’s a good feeling to get people vibeing off music that you have created and makes some of the duller aspects in the game more bearable.

What’s been the most memorable gig and why?
Hahahahahaha that’s a hard one, clearing the room at a DnB event recently is memorable mainly cause we were able to adapt and switch up our ish. We smash it on the DnB tip to.

Any tips for someone just coming into the game?
Be yourself and focus toward achievable goals.

Any major plans for 2007? Anything big in the pipeline?
I’m gonna be a dad again so everything else pales into insignificance this year

What radio stations in your area are supporting your music?
Recently had a track spun on BBC Radio Wiltshire BIG in the ends bruv, we were interviewed on the MKD show recently to, people can check that out in the archives over at Pyroradio. BIG UP Blufoot for hooking that up.

‘Big name’ collaborations seem to be the way for ‘underground artists’ to get more exposure. Do you plan to do this?
If it happens all good but I am not relying on it in order to make my way through the scene

Have you done any music videos to promote your latest release? If so what TV Stations have played it and who made the video?
This is something you will see from S.O.S. in the near future, as well as a 12” release

How are you finding the My Space.Com revolution? Love it or hate it? What are your views?
Did love it, not so attracted to it now, it’s a great marketing tool but slightly over saturated still

Do you have a My Space page or a website?
Sons of South.com, For the rhymes: Verbal Remedy, And for the beats: Jimmy Riff

What other rappers are you feeling at the moment?
From the UK feeling Grimlok out of the colony, Tony D from the Double P, Menace from Hoodz Underground and Shameless is heavy to.

Out the US I’m likeing the LP from Joel Ortiz and Redmans new LP

What other producers are you feeling at the moment?
The new Kanye beats are BIG, Beat Butcha, Chemo and Apatight are killing it in the UK as above if any beatmakers out there wanna hit me up with material then get in contact at myspace

Describe your style in 5 words.
Sick Sick Sick and SICK

Would you ever sign to a major label?
Yeah I would

Do you have a manager or booking agent?
Nope

Do you know anything about the UK Rap scene? Heard any UK Hip-Hop?
I heard Sons Of South are the dogs danglys


Why should people buy your music?

They shouldn’t they should download it for free, burn copies off and sell them at their local car boot sale.

Any shout-outs or anything you wanna add?
I wanna send a shout out to my family, Blaise, Terror, Natch, DJ Jeckal and Proph S.O.S. on the mooooooove, DJoe, All the southwest cats 3 Amigo’s, Louis Unseen, The Hobbit, Cheba, Nuff respect to Jackflash and the Groundwurq camp, BIG UP Blufoot and Throwaway, shout to OJB over at UKHHF.co.uk, anyone who’s shown support for my music and given love at the shows BIG UP yourselves and lastly big shouts to G @ The Urban Shop, Tricksta and the Wolftown fam hardest working label in the UK FACT!

Interview by Tricksta

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home