Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Redeye from East Anglia Chonic Redeye speaks



Where are you from and what was it like growing up there?
Growing up around Norwich was cool, the city itself is the same as any other - it runs on the same vices, but you’re never too far from the countryside so there was always outdoor parties and other craziness to get into.

How did you get your name and is there a story behind it?
Our crew name Chronic Redeye came from the 2 original members DJ Chronic and myself, Redeye. Chronic got given his name by the DestaNation reggae crew in Oxford. He used to live with them and got the name due to how much sticky green he burns! I used to write Redeye as my tag as a yout’ but i guess it still originates from blazing high grade haha

Was there a situation or a person who inspired you to rap?
Going to Exodus festivals in Luton and hearing mans chatting on a big sound system inspired me get on the mic, but even as a little kid in 1990 rapping along to ‘Mama Said Knock You Out’ I was inspired to write rhymes.

Tell us about your latest release.
Our new joint is called ‘Knowledge Is King’ and its 15 tracks of raw, stripped down boom bap served with reality rhymes. Most people can notice the reggae sound system influence in our work and I think we got the balance right between serving bangers and the more thought-provoking tracks. Our fam Lyrical T and Franko Fraize feature heavily plus we’ve got guest verses from Main Flow, Bronze Nazareth, Conman, Manage and Syanyde. We did most of the production ourselves but we’ve got guest riddims from Tricksta, Mr. Laws, Dillijence and Fudalwokit.

What do you prefer; playing live, recording in the studio or battling?

Playing live is the biggest buzz and you can’t beat that feeling. I love building in the studio just as much but it’s not the same adrenaline rush as getting a crowd hype! I haven’t got much time for battling, it’s like since 8 Mile everyone wants to be Rabbit haha! I respect that battling has a place in hip hop but I’m a grown man with more important things to deal with than calling someone a wasteman!

How would you describe your personality? What do you enjoy doing?

I’d say I’m laid back but focussed – I like to have a joke and a spliff but I still wanna get things done, I haven’t got time for dreamers! I enjoy going out raving and staying up for days afterwards talking shit and running tunes on the decks

How did you go about setting up independently?
We got hand to hand sales of our music up to the point of registering ChronicRedeye Music as a company where each release builds funds for the next. We keep it going by also having a record shop in Norwich upstairs in Ali Bongos the bong shop.

What’s your favourite clothing label?

Champion

Forget the budget, what would be your dream collobo?
Premier, Rza or Necro beat with the hook sung by Sizzla and all my crew catching wreck alongside B Real, Skinnyman and Killah Priest


With so many artists out there, what are you doing different to get heard?

We’re mashing up stages and raves and that’s the best way to get heard – live and direct


Now is your chance to get something off ya chest! Anything getting you down or any opinions you need to voice?

Tight jeans are wrong.

Okay, before you go please give us you’re My Space details.
Chronic Redeye

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home