Thursday, July 20, 2006

Juttla


For years now there has been a sound tearing through the underground of the West Midlands. Whatever the genre of music Breaks, Drum & Bass or Hip-Hop there was always one man responsible. He goes by the name of Juttla, with his distinctive Asian flavour and his groundbreaking music I had to hook up with him to get the low-down on what going on.

So Juttla how exactly did you first get into the game of Producing / Remixing?
I've always been interested in producing music from a young age. I really started to take it more serious during the jungle days after going out to raves and listening to the likes of Grooverider and Fabio.

Rumour has it you have got a new album out which features artists like 2pac and Biggie. How did you hook that up?
I'm a 2Pac and Biggie fan, so this is really big for me. Tricksta from Wolftown is a king for hooking that up for me! The deal was I'd do the remix and if they liked it they could use it for their projects & releases and I get to use it in my album mixtape. The fact I got two tracks on with 2pac still amazes me. I am so proud of the work I did with these legends and working with the voices of such Hip-Hop legends really makes ya hair stick up on end!

Other than 2pac and Biggie which other names have you managed to get on your album?
There is a whole bunch… I've been kinda lucky, I got work with rappers I'm fellin' like The Game, Saigon, JT Tha Bigga Figga, Late, RH Bless, Slim Thug, 10Shott, Jai Boo and more..

It is set to come out via Wolftown Recordings. How did you link up with them?
I've known Tricksta 'n' Late from the early '90s from going out to clubs, they are like family to me – they're like my brothers. They asked me to remix a track for Wolftown from LATE's 'International Rhyme Spittin EP' and this whole Hip-Hop thing for me kinda started from there.

Years ago I remember you being big in breaks. Are you still actively producing breaks?
I really enjoy producing breaks. Twisting them bass and chopping them beats is better then having sex!!!

After your debut Hip-Hop album what is next for the man like Juttla?
I've started Volume 2 already. So far it includes David Banner, Lil Jon, Bun B, K Rino, Bodaiga, Skinnyman, Late, 10Shott and more.

Have you got any plans of travelling to the States anytime soon to link up with some of the artists that featured on your album?
I would love to go to the States but I don't if I'm ready for the USA yet. I'm still pretty new to the scene, so maybe after my next release. At the moment I am just trying to focus on really pushing this Hip-Hop project, staying hard-working like my CEO's Late & Tricksta, and just remain humble.

What do you think of this whole hip-hop thing? Is it harder work than some of the other genres you have worked in before?
It's hard work man. The scene I'm from is very different to Hip-Hop. In Hip-Hop it seems you really have to put in the work to get noticed. I've been use to producing instrumental music, and with that it's just you and your machine. You don't have chase any one up! The main thing I noticed is how hard it is to work with UK rappers. They are hard work I think studio excess is the main problem for them. I really want to get some good UK emcees on the Volume 2.

What kind of names can we expect on your follow up Hip-hop album?BIG, BIG, BIG things… I'm not allowed to give too much away – new Wolftown rules!!! But all I can is thanks to my boy MR. TRICKSTA.

Which artists are you feeling at the moment?
To be honest all I am listening to at the moment is the current and forthcoming Wolftown mixtapes! I do like The Relatives, Three 6 Mafia, Conspicuous The Coroner, Foreign Beggars, Saigon, Big Steele, K-Rino & SPC.

Which rapper would you love to work with?
I've already done it! They are all on “Bass, Kicks, Snares, Spits”! But saying that I'd love to remix a Nas, Jay Z, Dr. Dre or Snoop Dogg track, but also I'm lovin’ some of these underground artists from the UK and all over the States.

Any last words?
Big up Tricksta and Late for their support and for believing in me! Thanks to your self Brendan for the love with the interview, respects! Props to Dom – the man! And of course all my Wolftown people – 2006 we on the grind!!! Wolftown forever…

If you're an artist wanting to get in touch check out www.juttla.com.

Juttla's CD mixtape album 'Bass, Kicks, Snares, Spits' is available to buy from www.wolftownrecordings.com.

Interview by Brendan Deane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home