Sunday, January 28, 2007

Ringolero

Give us the intro?
I'm from south London, Brixton to be specific. The Hip Hop scene is grimy in a word, a bit too grimy for a lot of mainstream media anyway.

How long have you been rapping and what or who influenced you to pick up the microphone and start writing?I’ve been emceeing for 18 years, I was originally influenced by Ninjaman but more so by Big Daddy Kane in about 89.

When did you get your first break and was there anyone person who helped along with your music career?
My first break came as a Drum and Bass emcee on Breeze FM. There have been many people who have all had a hand in helping me along the way in some way. People like Publo, Jon Bizz, Flego Barker, Defisis, and more recently people like Corey Johnson, Reggie Fantastic & DJ Judge (of Shotcallers).

What have you released so far and what has the response been like?
I’ve released a mixtape called Hammer Verse of Horrors locally in 04, man dem on enz loved it but no one else really heard it, also a mixtape as part of the Risc group called after the massacre which dissed 50 Cent in 05' that was distributed as a promo only 100 copies were produced & everyone loved that one, got radio love on a few tracks but I think the whole theme was a bit too contentious for the masses at the time, plus we just wanted to test the waters and kick up a little storm, which it did; and finally this album called How to be an Emcee which has had nothing but positive feedback from everyone who's heard it, just waiting for some papers to come as a result.

What would say is the most popular track that you have released to date?
Nigguh What You Know... it was a track from the after the Massacre mixtape which gets love from everyone who hears it, young and old. Radio also gave it a thorough rinse when it was released. I’m looking to top the amount of popularity gained with this new album though.

What producers do you work with?

Magic of Renegade Hardware Records, Synagee of Hustla Enterprise, Bos, Twixie, Paleface, Jon Bizz and recently Jon Judace.

What studio do you record in?
Various studios such as T.O.V, the synagogue and studio 10. But mostly T.O.V (Trouble on Vinyl)

What artists have you collaborated with and what’s the most memorable collaboration that you have recorded?

Artists such as Synista Hustla, the Doujaman (my crew), Sheldz, Bones, Corey Johnson, Scamer (my partner in the Risc) & Flego Barker to name a few. Most memorable would have to be local groupies featuring Corey Johnson of defenders L.O.S. Cor and I go back to birth so this track had to be done. You can hear the chemistry between us on the track too. A big tune for the ladies!

What’s your label situation? Who you signed to and do they have distribution?
Not signed to a major, but my album was the first release from my label called Jonringo Enterprise. Distribution is something I’m actively seeking.
With so many rappers in the game how are you planning to make noise and get noticed?
With undeniable skill, the resilience of an ox, lyrics for years and a truth that speaks for itself. I am genuinely better than the vast majority out there so as long as I have a platform to be heard the rest will follow. Hear for yourself!

Have you featured or hosted any mixtapes?

Hip-Hop features include Hammer Verse of Horrors which I also hosted, as mentioned I appeared on after the Massacre by the Risc and also appeared on Master Minds of Deception E.P. with Amen Voyager.

Any major plans for 2007? Anything big in the pipeline?
Come on maan, this is my year (not in the corny sense) I’m July born the 7th month, seventh son of the tribe of Judah so 7 is my number. I’m planning three videos for my solo projects this year, a new single/video due in spring with Corey Johnson. I’m already working on a full length album with Scamer as the Risc, I’m doing another mixtape this year with the Doujamen and finally a joint project with Synagee, as yet untitled but Synagee will be on production for the whole project and I will be tearing the mike a new one. Look out for that! Also features on Synista Hustla's album, and just looking forward to whatever projects and collabo's come my way!

What radio stations in your area are supporting your music?
Itch FM, Bounce FM, Lightning FM, GLC Radio, Axe FM and Deja are the main ones at the moment

‘Big name’ collaborations seem to be the way for ‘underground artists’ to get more exposure. Do you plan to do this?
Yeah I am planning to do this, and I’ve got some u.s. acts lined up, but to be honest I wanna collaborate with some UK acts I’m trying to sell a mill in UK alone, ya dig! Stay tuned for more info

Have you done any music videos to promote your latest release?

None-what-so-ever, which I feel was a slight oversight on my part but when you’re financing the whole project yourself, you do what you can. Visuals are coming in 07 for sure. But to be honest I’m not big on da video life ting. Nuff man is just pretending to be what they’re not. I prefer to let my music do the talking, initially anyway.

How are you finding the My Space.Com revolution? Love it or hate it? What are your views?
Myspace is cool; I’m feeling the whole idea, good opportunity for exposure when some would otherwise never be heard. Most people on there are s#!t though, when people ask for feedback I tell them straight if I think they are s#!t

Do you have a My Space page or a website?

ringolero

What other rappers are you feeling at the moment?
A lot, too many to mention but Scamer, my Doujamen, O.C, Terrafirma, SMS, Malik from MD7, Foreign Beggars and lots more!

What other producers are you feeling at the moment?
I’m feeling Synagee, Chemo, Madlib, Baby J (I want a beat) and myself, (I’ve started producing now too)

Describe your style in 5 words.
Gritty, versatile, honest, multi-syllabic yet conscious

Would you ever sign to a major label?
Yep, as long as they offered me the right deal.

Why should people buy your music?
Well for a start there are 23 tracks to get into, they will have an album which stands up against any album, US or otherwise, they will be entertained from start to finish in ways they never realised hip hop could, its a snap shot of the darker side of south London, the artwork makes it a collectors item oh and did I mention there are 23 tracks!!

Any shout-outs or anything you wanna add?
Yeah man, all my Doujamen, the whole of south London, Scamer and the Risc army, and every UK act trying a ting at the moment, Tricksta and the whole Wolftown Committee and finally big up to every s#!t mc....coz without them I wouldn’t be the best!

Interview by Tricksta

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home