Sunday, May 11, 2008

May 11th Podcast goes Live

It's Sunday and another new podcast. this weeks is again a ping pong between myself (the mighty G-man ;-) and Redfirewalker, we managed to get through this mix without any Clash or reggae which is somewhat of an achievement by both of us, I would call this mix art school. Personally I love this mix got some great and very unusual tracks on there that some of you may find "challenging" to listen to.

Song To The Siren - This Mortal Coil
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
Monkey Tamarind - The Beginning Of The End
Yaba Funk (Pre Mix)- Captain Yaba
Discipline (Manchester)- Throbbing Gristle
Die In Terror - The Residents
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie & The Banshees
Being Boiled - The Human League
Baader-Meinhoff - Cabaret Voltaire
John Walker's Blues - Steve Earle
I'm Bad Like Jesse James - John Lee Hooker
Jesse - Scott Walker
The Void - The Raincoats
Song To The Siren (From The Monkey's TV Show)- Tim Buckley

you can find all the podcasts so far here

The starting point was Song to the Siren by This Mortal Coil. My favourite version of this song is the acoustic one Tim Buckley played on the Monkees TV show and that reminded me that Jeff Buckley and Liz Fraser had a very intense affair so I chose Hallelujah. The next track came with the following line, "ok thought about the Monkeys connections then went off on a religious thing with it being Hallelujah but think that this will fit best" which puzzled me but I went with some raw afrobeat with Captain Yaba. Yaba Funk promoted 20 Jazz Funk Greats and Throbbing Gristle and I felt a little bit of The Residents went well with that. Siouxsie and the Banshees was felt to fit next and I countered with Human League, Being Boiled, because of the Chinese references. That choice caused no end of problems for G-Man but he eventually came up with the Cabs track. Taking the terrorist theme I went thru a few ideas before remembering about Steve Earle's song about the American Taliban. Taking his cue from the cowboy feel out came John Lee Hooker I'm Bad Like Jesse James, though this isn't the version originally chosen. I was going to choose some desert blues, Tinariwen or others of that ilk, but the name Jesse led me to a track from Scott Walker's The Drift. Void from The Raincoats was G-Man's last choice and after toying with a few tunes I decided to end with the song we'd begun with, only my favourite version from Tim Buckley. It generated about 44 emails and much head scratching but is great fun to do. Hope you all enjoy the "production" I'm just an old ham at heart

Let us know your thoughts about this mix or even if you would have picked a different tune at any point

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home